Quilt top went together like a dream, but then it is pretty simple. For the maths/puzzle lovers out there, its a sudoku quilt! A friend brought the pattern and fabric back from Canada for me - I do have fantastic friends :-)
Wish I could say the rest of the quilt came together as easily as the top, but no, I messed up at every opportunity. Including a lovely stint of automatic behaviour when I was doing the binding - I might have managed to sew in my sleep, but it would've helped if I'd actually managed to sew the binding to the quilt top and not the leftover edges of batting. And as for the quilting... To say the air was blue would be understating it. In fact I'm pretty sure at least one day was spent where the only words out my mouth were profanities. At least I can say I was quite creative with it... Oh yeah, why? Well at some point between the basting and the manhandling through the sewing machine the back got awfully saggy. Whole thing had to be unpicked and redone.
Oh and a whole day was wasted coming to the (blindingly obvious) conclusion that learning to Free Motion Quilt should be done on small things 'til you get the hang of it, BEFORE you attempt it on a whole quilt. Must remember to make some mug rugs to practice on...
I did get a lovely surprise mid-week though, when Rhonda from Quilter in the Gap very kindly picked li'l old me as one of her six blogs to pass the Stylish Blogger Award on to! Check out her blog if you want to see what an experienced talented quilter can do! So, first of all a big thank you to her, second I should say that the "rules" that accompany this award are to list 7 things about yourself then pass the award on to your 6 recently discovered great bloggers. So, painful for me to think up, and painfully boring for you to read, here are my 7 things about me.
- When I was a kid I was scared of the dark..
- I may or may not have buried my pet hamster alive. Apparently they go into a forced hibernation if put in a cold room, and can be roused by blowing with a hairdryer. Who knew? I didn't
- I love Bruce Lee movies and have them all on dvd.
- I was once a barmaid. I sucked at it, but I got free beer at the end of the night.
- Ellie cat is my third tabby. Clearly I am much better with bigger animals.
- I have turned every single white item of clothing belonging to myself and my man grey.
- I was born in in Edinburgh
A little bit of Plum Leaf
A quilt, maybe
Vanilla Clouds and Lemon Drops
The Antipodean Artisan
I hope you'll have a wee nosey at them too, they're great!
Right, I'm signing off for a week, I'm going to visit mum and dad, and granny!