Sunday 14 September 2014

The Narcoleptic has left the cupboard....

*warning:  excessive wee hoose photys

Its been a stressful time of late in this wee narcoleptic's life.  Specifically leaving Molly Moo with Ganny and Gampa for a week (so painful!  I couldn't stop crying I missed her so much) and going back up to the hoose on the island to pack up and move out.  Two weeks work to squeeze into 7 days and naturally the island put its best weather face on to make us feel worse....




I've always said its my man's house.  He bought it.  He had it before we met.  But you know what?  By the time it came to packing up I realised just how much it was MY home.  He may have wielded the chequebook and final say, but almost every room was filled by me.  With his work being at sea I spent more time there!  I got the workies in, I oversaw the jobs.  I made changes, I picked the fixtures.  And yes, I filled it full of crap accessorized it.  However much I moaned about the isolation I felt living there, I did love his house, my home.


The bedrooms (incredibly the cupboard was classed as a bedroom when he bought the house!)


I'm gutted we never got it finished (hall stairs to do, and some pointing on the front) and I really am gutted to leave my amazing bathroom and bloomin' perfect "laundry room".


Absolutely love these amazing rooms.  (Man neglected to photograph the entire wall of custom built wardrobe in the laundry room before he filled it with boxes.  Doh!)


I'm sad to leave my cosy living room, sadder still that I have no decent photos of it!  There really was no time to spare by the end of the week and that was the last room packed.  Also sad to leave my wee kitchen & the dining cupboard.


Ran out of time for a "dressed" photo of the dining room, huge pity.  


Me and the man met because I designed his kitchen.  Poor soul only went to the shop to keep his mate company but he ended up with a brand new kitchen and narcoleptic girlfriend!


I actually cried, and dammit I'm at it again just typing, to leave my sewing cupboard.  For such a tiny room it was a massive part of my life.



Before and after the packing....

The boxing up and de-cluttering (a couple o' dozen big black bags of all sorts to various charity shops and recycling centres, and god only knows how many van loads to the dump) was a nightmare.  My achey body is still in bits.  But we made it, just in time to get the ferry home to Moo.  The house will be on the market soon, and fingers and toes crossed it sells.  Meantime the house contents are in a lock up and we're with the ever wonderful Ganny and Gampa.  On the house hunting side, we haven't had much time as Man is on yet more work courses, but there is one we're considering.  A fair bit smaller than I'd have hoped for (no sewing cupboard!) but perfect in so many other more important (Molly) ways.  No time to act on it yet, but you never know, things might work out.  It'd be awffy nice if they did...


I'll sign off for now with the last quilt to go Island bound, the last commission for my  (ex) builder!  It was my challenge-yourself-and-use-brown quilt.  I think, after Emilys awesome quilting, it came out no' bad!

Innocent Crush by Anna Maria Horner and Moda Grunge Cocoa.  Cant remember where the pattern idea came from.  


33 comments:

  1. Excellent post title. It's hard to say good bye to a home. Hope your next home is your forever one. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Susan, you are incredibly clever with your title!! I know you will be happy when you find just the right house for the three of you. I am over the moon for the three of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that's a bit poignant! But Moo comes first and maybe your new cupboard will be the corner of the bedroom or the kitchen table. But it will all be worth it to be mainland lubbers, nearer Ganny and happier. Whits fur ye willnae go by ye!! Faith, Chicken!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw chick, so many lovely memories in your island home. But there are so many more memories to come, especially with baby moo! You'll always be our one and only narcoleptic in a cupboard! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaw, such a bitter sweet time in your life Sarah! It's sad to be leaving such a lovely home before, but you've created some great memories there, which you'll only continue to build on going forwards! Happy house hunting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes...your cupboard is where you create...be it walls or a kitchen table like me. Lucky you that had a chance to live and love on the isle!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I raise my glass to the next cupboard xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very poignant! I hope you find a wonderful new cupboard soon, in the mean time enjoy your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, you must be so sad to say goodbye. Your house will stay with you though and you will have loads of happy times ahead. Hope the house hunting goes well x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its so hard to say goodbye to a house you love, but the perfect house will be just around the corner. ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw. End of an era! Here's to the Studio Shed?! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those memories remain I. Your heart and you take them with you and can look forward to new memories to make for the 3 of you. Trust me, studio shed is the way ahead! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. You will never forget your special home & cupboard but loads of lovely new memories ahead that still need to be created. Good luck with a sale and hope you find your perfect home soon.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! What Lynz said (it's my dad's favourite saying). Good luck with the house stuff. Huggles to molly moo (and her mum) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might have to change your blog name to Narcoleptic in a Palatial Pad ;) Your old house looks fab, I especially like those tiles behind the loo. But, onwards and upwards. It's a big adventure just waiting to happen. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Sarah. Every time I stop by you're going through life-changing events! You certainly had a lovely home and Molly is such a doll. Babies are so cute when they're somebody else's. I really like your brown quilt--it makes for a nice change. Good luck with the house hunting!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  17. No bad at all!

    Moving house is always sad if you've been there for a good while.Hope you find the perfect new home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's sad to move on, but now you can create a home for your family of three. It's a wonderful opportunity to start fresh! Keep your head up, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. As soon as I saw that first photo I thought 'oh no it would have been easier with a howling gale and lots of rain!' Fingers crossed for the next wee hoose. Bet you had the best cuddle with Molly when you got back! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  20. You really did make a beautiful house, but that's what it was a house. Your home will bee where you share those first precious years with Moo and don't feel so isolated. The importance of having family nearby can never be underestimated when it comes to raising kids! And just think of the blank canvas your next place could be!

    On another note - I found another quilting kitchen designer! (although it's been three years since I last designed. A kitchen)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope something perfect turns up for you very soon! You will make a gorgeous family home wherever you end up. Onwards and upwards :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you find your perfect house very soon...and a lovely new builder to make it just how you want it! Take care xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww I almost cried reading this! Actually since the girls were born I have cried with every house we have had to move from....I think it's all the precious memories there. But then every house has been better than the last, once I've got over the emotion of moving and settling in. I truly hope your new home is just around the corner, waiting for you to make new moo memories there xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the love story! The house was lovely but because you made it so, which means you can do it again wherever you go next !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your new home will have bits of your old one, and you will be reminded. Where you are is really where your home is anyway. I do hope you find a perfect spot of your own soon, so you can get settled.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...and on to the next chapter of your life in a wonderful home with your gorgeous family :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw your home looked so lovely I can see why you were so sad to leave. Will you be staying in the same area? I'm sure things will work out just as they are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always hard to leave a home, because you've made memories there, I've done it (too) many times. Fortunately you will be taking the good memories with you and will be adding more for sure. I hope you will find your next home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aww, that bathroom was amazing, you obviously need to repeat the tiling rainbow in the new one!

    Good luck on the hunt :o)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know how I missed this, sorry. Memories are for making, and the family home will ensure loads and loads of happy ones xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's sad to say goodbye, but new exciting times ahead as you search for a property. Are you looking on the mainland now?

    ReplyDelete