Tuesday 28 July 2015

Snips and snippets

Thank you all for the wonderful response to my last post!  I have a lot to consider, but I also found somewhere I can go see a few machines, so hopefully I'll have chosen soon!

Meantime I pulled some grey, white and sandy low volume prints for the final border on my #britbeeforever Medallion Quilt.  It took couple of nights, some cake and some help from mum but they are all chopped and ready to go now.



My retro flowers blocks are all done, although trimming them and squaring them looks like it will be a bit of a 'mare....  (I was in such a rush to sew I didnt stop to press or trim as I went.)  I have a small quantity of the text print ("how to sew a pillowcase" from Timeless Treasures) for sashing, but unfortunately I couldn't find any yardage anywhere to get some more to do borders.  Looks like this will be a small throw.  Or a Moo Quilt....

Granny has been cutting for me, and we have almost got all the cutting done for a Kaleidoscope quilt.  Oh and I did some rummaging through the stash and found a few packs of Low Volume charm squares.  That has given me something nice to think about when I'm awake all night.  Lying awake for hours each night in pain and alone kinda sucks chunks, and on bad nights I start imagining all sorts of nasties.  I love having fabric to obsess over, quilts to plan.  Such a fun alternative.

I had an awesome flying visit from bestie, with her hubby, her lass and new baby in tow.  Any time spent with them is wonderful, however long or short.  And, BONUS, I got a fantastic haircut!  Hubby is a top hairdresser and salon owner....  What a top bloke to bring his tools and work on his holiday!



Moo is, well, she's wonderful of course.  But my god she can be stroppy.  And what a temper!  She still isnt talking and I think it must really be starting to bother her.  She's scarily smart though.  Really gotta watch what you say in front of her.  She understands everything.  Of course she steadfastly ignores most of the things you want her to understand... Naturally.
I am exceptionally lucky with Moo loving her bed and her story cds.  (That's my girl!!)  However my nightly check on her is becoming a military operation.  She is determined to catch me and get up and damn it did she not inherit her mothers sixth sense for detecting parental presence.  I can actually remember doing much the same to my mum.
Each night I get the light right, not the hall light - too bright - but the bathroom light with the door half shut so there only just enough light to see.  I open her door in absolute silence, and sneak (as stealthily as a fatty who can barely walk without staggering or tripping, joints clicking or swearing with pain can sneak) and get to the crib.  Often I'm caught before I get there and have to back away fast and try again later.  Eventually I get in.  Lift the blankie from the end of the crib.  Slowly, one hand, don't let it swing over the inside of the crib.  Locate the child.  Easier said than done.  Where is the child?  Cant see.  Is that the child?  No, its a monkey.  Screw eyes up and panic.  Locate the head!  Locate the head!  Got it, blankie on!  S#*t she's stirring, Retreat! Retreat! Retreat!  Kid can go from sound asleep on her knees with her butt in the air to wide awake standing, crying and grabbing, in a Millisecond...
But check on her I must.  Tell me, oh wise mothers, tell me, when do I stop needing to go in and check on her every night?  By "needing to" I of course am referring to my need not hers.  I cant 'not' check on her.  I need to hear that she's still breathing at least twice (bare minimum) every night.  When does this stop?!!!  Its mental.

So these are some of the joys of my days.



14 comments:

  1. Wanna see the new haircut!!! It's completely natural to want to check on your precious baby lots, but it's not doing your stress levels any good. Keep the baby monitor close and try and learn to relax and let her have undisturbed sleep. Failing that, install cameras!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy was a late talker and I can't stop him talking now. In fact he is sat opposite me now chattering on about butterflies (an obsession that is not going away) and it's not yet 7:00am….yawnnnnn! I babysat for a friend the other day and they have a monitor with a camera, which might be worth looking at in order to save your sanity! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the update on Moo! Can you move the cot nearer to the door so you can peep in from outside rather than disturb the force field she has set up? I can't remember when I stopped checking - maybe when they started going to bed after me? I still open the door and say goodnight to Niki (21) if she's in bed before me, and would love to be able to with Lisa (24, in Australia!) Luckily they didn't / don't wake so it wasn't a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Send her to granny's to sleepover once or twice a week, then you have a break from checking (and if you phone the child will probably tell you they have no time to speak, they are FAR TOO BUSY! Excited to see what machine you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the checking thing wore off when they were about 8, for me. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still peep in on mine, the eldest is 10 but it's because it's a lovely thing to do especially if we've not had a great day, they are so lovely to look at when peacefully sleeping! I've been doing the same at night - lying awake thinking about fabric as an alternative to thinking about other not so nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so paranoid at times that I used to poke my daughter if I thought she was sleeping too soundly!!??!! mad. I know!
    Now, as a granny to a 16 month old, I sleep in the same room as her when she has a sleepover....I say sleep but really I just catnap and keep peering into the cot. At least Grandad has a good nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as a child is in the home you will find yourself checking to see that they are breathing. I have a 29 year old daughter and 14 year old son that can't escape their Mother peeking in to be sure they are alright. :) Maybe that is why the 31 and 33 year old sons don't live with us! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still do on occasion to tell them to go to sleep and switch their laptops off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I atill check on the 8 yr old before I go to bed but thats mainly because a) he's extremely limely to have kicked his covers of or b)he fooled us earlier and hasn't gone to sleep and is still reading/playing his DS!
    We did keep the baby monitor in our room for DD until she was 2.5. She had chronic reflux and it was the only way we would be certain to hear when she was sick in the night. Sounds as though the baby monitor with camera would be worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I atill check on the 8 yr old before I go to bed but thats mainly because a) he's extremely limely to have kicked his covers of or b)he fooled us earlier and hasn't gone to sleep and is still reading/playing his DS!
    We did keep the baby monitor in our room for DD until she was 2.5. She had chronic reflux and it was the only way we would be certain to hear when she was sick in the night. Sounds as though the baby monitor with camera would be worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I atill check on the 8 yr old before I go to bed but thats mainly because a) he's extremely limely to have kicked his covers of or b)he fooled us earlier and hasn't gone to sleep and is still reading/playing his DS!
    We did keep the baby monitor in our room for DD until she was 2.5. She had chronic reflux and it was the only way we would be certain to hear when she was sick in the night. Sounds as though the baby monitor with camera would be worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think a baby monitor with a camera sounds like a good idea as it might cut out one of the checks but I don't think I know anyone who doesn't check on their bairns just before they go to bed...

    P.S. I searched and searched for some of that pillowcase fabric for your retro flowers quilt but failed...sorry!

    ReplyDelete