Tuesday 3 January 2012

Joining in

2012 Finish-A-Long



So I've sat here the last few days, watching everyone list their UFO's (un finished objects) and join in with Rhonda and her Finish-along, and I must admit I've felt rather smug about not really having any UFO's as mine were really just one or two WIP's (work in progress)...  I've looked at others lists, wished them luck and thought "phew, glad I dont have a UFO pile"...
Then I had a bit of a pull half the shelves apart looking for something re-organisation in the sewing cupboard and, well, I'm not feeling quite so smug any more... quite the opposite in fact.  *I hang my head in shame*  



Half done dresden...
 We have one unfinished Dresden.  Unfinished because it needs unpicked and done again.  Then I have a centre circle to add, and an outer.  And a border.  The whole dang thing basically.  Then of course I'll need to turn it into something - I'm thinking a circular cushion.


5" solid charms
 Rhonda, this actually has been started I promise, I just don't have a photo of the start.  It is a quilt top just done with 5" solid charms.  Kinda like Dead Simple, only Dead Indecisive cos I couldn't pick a small colour palate.... there's about 30 odd colours there...


A half done paper pieced star

This was a dual purpose item.  A trial effort for Laura's October Stars bee, done in my bee month fabrics since I havent actually made my own bee blocks yet...
I gave up half way and decided to do something else for Laura, and I still havent done my own bee blocks so thats what this represents.  My own bee blocks!  (Still not entirely sure about this one, but I will finish it.)


Not-so-Hidden Stars Quilt top

This quilt has been sitting on me on the sofa all winter.  Despite never being all that excited by it in the making, I really love it now.  It is officially my most used quilt.  (By me that is, I do hope the one's I've given away are also being used by their recipients!)  It is, however, still in its basted form...  I started FMQ'ing around the outside edges and got about 3/4 of the way round before I got entirely fed up.  I then took it to the sofa with a lovely perle cotton.  It has 2 stars hand quilted in perle.  
It would be rather nice to actually get this one finished so that I can give it a good wash if nothing else...  And to see what it feels like to snuggle up in without basting pins...

I did find one or two other UFO's but I'm not owning up to them yet, thats more than enough for the first quarter, wouldnt you say Rhonda?!  I hereby submit these for Rhondas Finish-along, to be completed in the first quarter.  I hereby stop hanging my head and say "me too me too can I play?!"

28 comments:

  1. I too felt smug - and then I remembered my FWQAL blocks, and my Bee blocks, and Emily's quilt and the ones I am just starting so will be WIPs soon. And then I thought I had best write a post and link it to Rhonda. Haven't done that yet either though! Loving what you are planning on doing though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, do your hidden stars first - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the one dresden? I have 6 clamouring for attention!
    Love the look of your paper pieced star.
    Don't be finishing too much please if it means you'll neglect your quilt along - I'm all excited about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your not so hidden stars top. No basting pins will definitely make a difference to how it feels:)
    I have a Dresden hidden away, which I'm hoping to forget, but people keep on finding theirs and posting photos of them, sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck honey! Get those pins out, stick on some coldplay and stitch away :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so much better now that everyone else is confessing their piles of unfinished projects! Love the Dead Incisive colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck, I have a load more UFO's but I know there isn't a hope in hell of working on them so will leave them until the next quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the dresden would make a lovely pillow/cushion (I forget which means what in Brit talk). I have a list of UFOs but haven't officially "committed" to a finish-along or other b/c then I get into being hard on myself if I don't follow through. I'd rather do it at my own pace. For some of them, I just need some time away and will get back to them when I'm more inspired or motivated. Your not-so-hidden stars is lovely-- I'd love to see a close-up of your perle stitching. Good luck with your UFOs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one with a few things to work on! Those will all be lovely when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hhhhmmm...I should check this out. Maybe it will give me the push I need to get my UFO's finished. YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it amazing what lurks about in our cupboards!!! Love the colours in your dresden. Would be lovely as a cushion. Good luck with getting finished - they'll look fab! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahah, Im about to join you, dreading pulling the cupboard out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for getting straight and finding them!! I truly have none but given time I'm sure I will! They all look good and the hidden stars is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH I am so very glad you came to play with us. I am also pleased as punch that you have UFOs just like me. I don't like to be a loner...hehehe I personally think UFOs multiply like dust bunnies. They are frisky little tigers. I have to say I am absolutely in love with your not so hidden stars quilt!!! It is scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are going to be amazing when they are finished. It's pretty humbling to realize there are so many unfinished projects. I thought I only had a few when I first looked. I look forward to seeing these don.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You see where cleaning got you ;). Your last quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck! I think I should join in on this finish along...

    ReplyDelete
  18. its actually quite scary when you start looking at all your ufos's isn't it!! I posted mine, and then found some more! Still I will try and finish what I put up. Good luck with yours

    ReplyDelete
  19. NOpe, I'm still holding out on my Winter Stitching List! Love that beuatiful quilt, now get it done! :))))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha, I started that smugly too until I reorganised lol Good luck with your list (says she, complacently, with 2 1/2 of her 5 done now ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh lots of lovely projects, good luck with finishing them all

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck...I hope UFOs don't jump out of my cupboard of doom the next time I open it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. haha! See we've all got secrets hidden in the cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm joining in tomorrow - I have a long list but only revealing a bit at a time! Well done on the confession and good luck on the sewing Sarah! The stars are gorgeous - can't think why did you not like it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's no way I am joining in with this because I couldn't take the pressure! I love the hidden stars quilt - not surprised it's your favourite. Good luck with all the finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck with zapping your UFOs Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Sarah. This is a really interesting quilt. I would never come near your color choices and yet you've made the design work so well. Guess I'll have to rethink my color palette and move out of the comfort zone!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete