Monday 23 June 2014

Big Hexies!

I have to start this post with thank you's.  Big thank you from mum to all who commented on her Siblings Together Quilt!  She was delighted.  Secondly, an even bigger thank you from me to everyone who commented on my freaking out Big Raspberries post!  Seriously, thank you so much.  Still think this whole baby lark is a bit of a conspiracy, but there you go - I suppose we'd never have them otherwise!
I had a haircut, which I hate as per usual.  Thankfully they didnt cut it as short as I'd wanted so I can still just tie it back!  I am terrible with haircuts.  Almost always disappointed.  I think there must be a hairdressers language, and that we should get one of those wee translation books for each time we have to go...  Imagine that in the tall spinny round travel books stand - where do you want to go? France, Italy, hairdressers...
Anyway.  Hair still falling out, thank god it was super thick to start with.  Must be stopping soon tho' eh?  Mum and dads drains sure hope so...

Fingers crossed me and Moo are getting a wee visit this weekend, from my longtimealltime bestie and her wee one.  Since I sent her a wee peek already I can actually share the wee quilt I made for my wee "niece".  First finish of 2014.  Phew!



Its giant hexies, obviously, in Cape Ann from Oliver & S.  I used a layer cake and 1 yard lilac solid, half yard gingham for binding, 2 yards Hopscotch by Sarah Jane for backing.  I think Cape Ann didnt get enough press when it came out, it really is beautiful but I never saw much done with it on our bloggysphere.  I was going to use the lovely, simple, half hexie patterns for this quilt, but then I wanted the prints with the clothes to remain whole.  There in started the nightmare that was the whole giant hexie quilt.  Never again! Man my template making SUCKS!!!  And all those Y seams...  I did 3 rows by hand, then tried the rest with machine.  Honestly couldnt tell you which took longer...  But anyway.  Got it done, loved it.

Mum came up with the genius Daisy quilting, and I sucked up the fear and went for it with the free motion....  actually thats a weeeee bitty of a fib cos I got mum to draw them all on first so I would have an idea where to go.  What can I say.  I'm no artist, either with pencil or needle!  They worked well though, I must say I'm chuffed with them.
Hope wee one will like it.  I look forward to showing her the fun stuff to do with a quilt.  Giant cape anyone?  Quilty sausage roll?  Inside Tent?  And, I hope, I might even get a wee sofa snuggle too.  If I'm super lucky.

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this, great quilting design too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely super hero cape! Love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely quilt Sarah & brilliant FMQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my wee sisters was pretty much banned from all the hairdressers in our home town as she used to burst into tears from the moment she sat in the chair. I'm not sure that's changed to be honest. Loving your work. Y seams! Wowsers x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with all those Y seams! Looks fab! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a gorgeous quilt and there are fewer activities more fun than using a homemade quilt as a prop !~! I love the sausage idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's gorgeous! I was toying with giant hexies ( in my mind) but maybe I'll just bury that idea and go with giant rectangles ! Love and hugs to Moo, have a great play date x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a gorgeous quilt!! My nieces love to play sausage rolls with Mam's quilts, I'm sure Molly will love it when she's a little older!

    P.S. Sorry to hear about the hair. I've been going to the same salon for about eleven years now and there's now only one stylist that I'll go to (the other one left, how selfish!) but she does a marvellous job and I leave being pleased rather than sad, which was how I used to be before that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic quilt and good decision not to go with the half hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a winner! Love that you got past your fear and did a little FMQ. Well done Mom for the push :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What's not to like, girl? The quilt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great quilt and I'm sure your bestie and her little one will treasure it. Well done you for conquering the FMQ ing. I am rubbish at it! Totally.

    ReplyDelete