Wednesday 2 July 2014

Roll over tomboy...

Today I bring you my happiest finish of the year.  Apologies to those who have seen enough of it on instagram!!

This is my mini for my mini.  I've called it "hugs and kisses for Molly".  Yes, I'm getting a bit soppy.....






When I got my little girl my man hinted ever so subtly that I was perhaps a bit inclined to pick boyish or unisex stuff.  And thats fair enough, I dont really "do" girly.  I'm not much for dresses, I dont do heels.  But thats me, and wee Molly should get to choose things like that herself shouldnt she.  So I've been making the effort to find my inner girly....

I've bought a few dresses, for Moo obviously, I'm accepting the inevitability of most things being pink, I've even let granny put frilly bummed knickers on her!  What really surprised me  when I looked through my stash was how many bits (*ahem*) of Aneela Hooey prints I had.  Now you cant get more girly than that, surely?!




I'd loved seeing peoples scrappy economy blocks over the last few months, so I figured they'd be a great way to incorporate Aneelas lovely prints.  Somehow I managed to forget or overlook the fact that they involve triangles.  As my bestie said to me last weekend, "for someone who hates triangles so much, you use a lot of them".  Hmmmm. Why is it that so many of my favourite quilty patterns need triangles?!  What was to be a quilt very quickly became a mini....  

Just in case this isnt all sounding familiar enough for you, I managed to spill a cup of tea over half my cut triangles....

Not wanting to warp or fray the wee cuts I decided to sew and wash later.  To tell the truth, now its finished and has been through the washing machine, some of the tea hasnt come out in the wash yet.  Specifically in the whites, tea stains are showing up.  Thats a bit disappointing but I'm hopeful that a few more washes with stain removers will sort things out.




My first quilting plan had been to do a spiralling heart, but I was barely 2 hearts in when I spotted the quilt layers shifting a bit, and I couldnt be botherd with puckers.   Quilting plan number two was meant to be.  Hearts and kisses.  I finished off with a border round the edges of hearts, or my free motion attempt at hearts anyway!

I think its fairly safe to say I done girly!  I gave it to Mollymoo and amazingly enough she really likes it!  Honestly, she stares intently at each picture, strokes it softly, and then shoves it in her gob.   It's a hit!




I cant say I'm a convert, but I will make an effort to ensure that I make her girly stuff AND cool stuff I'd like in the future.   But no princesses.  Please god no princesses....

21 comments:

  1. Gob approved! Priceless!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, all my non-girly friends ended up with the girliest of girls. She is adorable and the quilt is so cute, you are doing just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted a girly girl, and got one that wasn't at all. I dressed her in cute little dresses, that I made myself, until she was 6 and told me that she only wanted to wear sweat pants and T shirts from then on. I wanted to put her in Brownies, but she wanted to play hockey like her dad. Oh well - she grew up and has discovered dresses and needlework on her own.

    They will choose their own path!

    Lovely quilt, though, and it looks like Moo is enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry at all about the tea - it's a good foundation for the spit, wee and other unmentionables! As for girly, all the pink and sparkles you rejected for your self may well have squeezed them self into your genes! I got girls who can walk in heels, can put on make up and are very photogenic, and sociable - all traits that failed on me but had another go in the next generation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, bless! Look at her checking out the fussy cut centered. Miss Mollymoo - you're adorable!
    Ah, she'll grow into the person she's going to be and you'll grow with her. It will change a few times, mind you, while she works it out herself...just keep hanging onto her coat tails and supporting her each step of the way. You'll both be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *definitely* no princesses! Ugh!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt and Mollymoo is adorable. Don't worry about being too girly with her. My daughter went through girly, tomboy and girly again. She's now going through the 'only wearing black' phase ( she's 19) and I long for the girly days xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. If she is shoving it in her gob it is a given she totally loves it. Great finish and so good that you are finding sewing time. Molly Moo is just the most luscious, gorgeous bundle of love herself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean - why do knickers for babies have to be frilly? I too have succumbed. Your quilt is gorgeous but nit as gorgeous as Molly. We'll done on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a gorgeous quilt - maybe if you leave it with Molly long enough she will suck all the tea out?! And we don't want pink - I was so chuffed when my 7yr old chose bright teal for her bedroom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No princess? She might be playing Merida as my little girl does and who says she is not a princess?!?! Gorgeous quilt. I still love the prints.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad she approves of her quilt - bringing her up properly I'm pleased to see. I love the last photo of her. A proper cheeky ginger monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt! Lucky Molly and I LOVE frilly baby bums! Embrace the frilly bum - you'll miss it when she won't let you do stuff like that anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. If it makes you feel any better my Chook was all about pink, sparkly, Disney princesses and twirly dresses until she was 6!! And now she's all about the alternative - a retro Batman dress was bought yesterday! She'll find her own way in the end, pink frilly knickers or no. *g* Although, TBH, I had a girly tomboy. Up a tree wearing the Belle dress! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my smallest likes to dress as a mermaid, whilst crashing toy diggers into each other and building junk yards around the train set!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree with you on girly stuff- surely it's up to the girl to decide for herself if she wants to be judged on her looks (princess/model/actress) or her brain (scientist/writer/doctor) in the future? I think a lot of girls toys promote the wrong values.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Noooooo, not the frilly bummed knickers!!! And people spend hours and a small fortune tea dying fabric, just saying, you may be onto something...

    ReplyDelete
  18. A gorgeous finish for a gorgeous girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful child! Yes, the quilt is lovely too. Molly looks really pretty in navy and white stripe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful quilts in a lovely setting. Miss Molly is gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete